• Sponsor: Grant County Public Utility District
• Objective: To conduct an integrated study of flow on a fish bypass at the Wanapum Dam on the Columbia River using laboratory models and numerical simulations. The simulations guided the design process of an ogee-crested fish bypass and provided insights for several variations in the geometry. The goal of the fish bypass is to increase survival of juvenile salmonids migrating downstream through the project.
- Understand the free-surface flow on the Wanapum Dam fish bypass
- Analyze the two-phase flow downstream of the bypass to minimize total dissolved gas
- Understand the approach flow in the forebay to maximize fish collection efficiency
- Understand the egress flow in the tailrace to maximize survival